Friday, July 25, 2008

Reflections on No TV: Part 1

Many of you are probably aware of the newest "lifestyle choice" in the Wussow household: no TV. That's right, we are tv-less for going on 2 months now, and overall it has gone really well and we haven't missed it. And I have read about 3 or 4 books and 6 magazines since then, so I guess that tells you something. But, there is one, pretty major issue that I have not considered until recently.

The Olympics.

The Olympics.

Without a tv, I am undoubtedly going to miss most, if not all, of my beloved olympics. No Dream Team. No gymnastics. No soccer. No table tennis. None of the things that I love. Ok, maybe not table tennis, but the other things.

I am, admittedly, an olympics super nerd. I get warm fuzzies thinking about the olympics memories of my childhood. Kerri Strug sticking her landing in spite of her ankle injury and sealing the team gold medal for the U.S.A. (aka the Magnificent 7) Or when Michael Johnson won the 200 m and 400 m sprints in the SAME olympics in Atlanta. Come on, people. This is good stuff!

Travis is not worried about this. He is trying to require me to boycott the games because of the human rights and environmental failures of China. Very principled. Very not happening.

Is it nerdy to watch the olympics in a sports bar?


Kerri Strug, 1996 Olympics

2 comments:

Leah said...

wow Katie, you have been blogging a lot!! this one made me laugh out loud.

Unknown said...

so i guess you lost?